Monday, January 20, 2014

"Why do you think some people don't exercise their right to vote?"

 When my parents were growing up whenever the election would come around I asked why they never would vote. My mom would say she had things to do, she was too busy, she had to work etc. I remembered counting down the seconds until I could vote and being really excited. Now getting older and being almost 17 I realize it's not a huge deal. People are busy, they have things to do, they work, they have kids, they have to chauffeur kids...the list could go on. 
Also, not everyone understands our nations political parties. Some may be torn between democrat and republican. They might not be sure what their opinion is. There could be confusion or questions. 
I didn't understand the whole "democrat or republican" thing until about 8th grade and that was through self research. People aren't taught about political parties in school. It just doesn't happen. 

No comments:

Post a Comment