Thursday, January 23, 2014

“Each patient carries his own doctor inside him.” ― Norman Cousins,Anatomy of an Illness

I've been sick for a long time. I have been sick for almost 15 years. I can tell when something is wrong. I can tell when there is an issue. I know when I'm going to be sick. I know when I'm starting to catch something. I can tell my mom "Next Tuesday I'll be sick" and almost 90% of the time I am right. How do I know? Each sick person has dealt with illness for a long time. We learn our bodies and what it feels like before and after a flare up. My mom asked me how I can do this and I tell her that I just know.  I get a feeling in the pit of my stomach that wont go away. I start losing sleep. I'm not eating right. Then as it gets closer I can't stop eating and sleeping. Then it hits. I wake up that dreaded morning and crawl to my moms room. Fighting with her about missing so much school and "Not taking care of myself" I could take care of myself as much as possible and I'd still be sick. Thats what chronic illness is. I just know.

No comments:

Post a Comment